Eating bananas would improve the heart health of women, especially if they consume a lot of salt. At least that is what the Dutch study published in the European Heart Journal reveals. “A diet high in potassium is linked to lower blood pressure and a lower risk of cardiovascular disease.” But the banana has many other benefits.
Less risk of heart problems
The study was conducted on a sample of 24,963 people aged 40 to 79, including 11,267 men and 13,696 women. Their blood pressure was measured and urine samples taken. They also received a questionnaire to find out about their eating habits. The panel was followed for 19 years. 13,596 of the participants were hospitalized or died from cardiovascular disease.
On the other hand, according to the researchers, 13% of them, those who had a higher potassium intake, had a lower risk of heart problems.
Antacid, source of vitamin C, potassium and iron
- Stimulate intestinal transit. A source of dietary fibre, bananas improve intestinal transit. Fiber increases the volume of the stool and changes its consistency. It is therefore useful for the proper functioning of the intestine, in order to avoid constipation and diarrhea.
- Its effect antacid natural allows it to relieve heartburn.
- Source of vitamin C, it helps to strengthen the immune system and fight against infections. Vitamin C is essential for the body. It has antioxidant properties, promotes healthy skin, bones, gums and teeth, it accelerates the healing process of wounds and increases the absorption of iron from plants.
- Loaded in potassium, it participates in the regulation of heartbeats. So consuming a lot of bananas would improve cardiovascular function and protect the heart.
- Finally, source of iron, it helps fight iron deficiency anemia.